Sunday, November 2, 2008

Welcome To My Nightmare!



Yes, I have been entirely lacking in keeping up my blog for the last week and a half. No, I have not been a big slug for the last week. I've been getting ready for a 4 day art show, but that is another blog, and working on an elaborate King Arthur era princess costume for the child. A year ago my daughter decided that she was going to be "Morgan Le Fey, The Greatest Sorceress Ever" for 2008 Halloween. At our house Halloween tops Christmas in the planning department. Christmas just kind of happens, whereas Halloween is intricately planned down to the last underapparel detail. As much as I hate to sew there are no holds barred in creating costumes around here. I gave birth to a kid who hit the ground bursting into song and drama. This holiday was made just for her. I'm willing to suck up the hate-to-sew yen, that I allow to take over at all other times of the year, to make something that rocks for my princess. (I must admit that it isn't just that I hate to sew. I have osteoarthritis in my hands, so it hurts horribly too. She won't be my baby forever though!) The child also has multiple opportunities to wear her costume each year so it isn't just for one night.

We found the pattern in August. One must look early or count on your one choice to be sold out in every store! There were 2 that she liked, but this won the toss. Then the choice was about dress A, B, C, or D. Next was which sleeve style would be the most beautimous. Those choices took a little while of course, so it was a month before we were ready to choose fabric. Back to the store for fabric and trims. First it was all about black. Then we began discussing who we thought Morgan Le Fey was and what made her tick. The child and I decided dark jewel colors were the way to go. We live where it could be snowing on Halloween so warmth was important too. Velveteens for both the cape and the dress. I'll spare you the sewing details because I don't need to relive that here! Let us just say that it was time consuming and labor intensive, but as always, very worth it. The princess was thrilled and as you can see she looked stunning.

8 comments:

Angela said...

It is a beautiful costume!!! She is lucky to have such a great mom! She will always remember you making her costumes for her!

pickleberries said...

Thanks Angela! This is what makes her heart sing, so I figure it is the least I can do.

MaryMarsh said...

Emma is beautiful! And her costume is absolutely stunning! What a marvelous job you did Lonnie!! What a super mom you are! Hope you both had a Happy Halloween! :)

~MaryMarsh

pickleberries said...

Thank you MaryMarsh! You know she's my princess!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful costume. Great job!

pickleberries said...

Thank you sun2create. My model makes it easy!

Kool Beanz said...

Lovely costume...Lovely daughter!

pickleberries said...

Thank you! :)